Monday, 22 April 2013

Interior Sound Deadening Removal and Painting Parts

Got some more updates, nothing that exciting but I like to share the progress anyway so I can keep a record for myself too of what I've done and when.

I got round to buying a decent heat gun and set to work on the sound deadening on the floor of the interior. Luckily I had a set of good scrapers to hand and me and the Mrs got stuck in.

After about 4-5 hours of intensive scraping we had cleared most of it off, some of the stuff came off in huge chunks thanks to a leak in the foot well which removed the adhesive from underneath and dried it out.

Here are some photos of before and after removal. It still needs tidying up but the majority of the sound deadening stuff was removed and in total it weighed 6kg's which is a substantial amount for a small car.

I also got round to preparing and painting the fog light covers and the spark plug cover. I chose to go with Satin Black for them to tie in with the stealth look I am going for.

I just need to paint the spark plug cover and the wing mirror bases Satin Black to match the rest of the theme. I've decided that the mirror covers and boot spoiler will be painted in body colour to keep a nice flow overall.

Sunday, 7 April 2013

Completed Rocker Cover

Here are some photos of the rocker cover now finished. I applied a liberal amount of Autosol and used the wire brush to take off any rough parts and dull patches on the metal then I used some harsh sandpaper around 120 grit to add some brush and scratch marks diagonally across the metal.

It still needs a bit of work but overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Once the spark plug cover and the rest of the parts are fitted in the bay it should look smart.

Saturday, 6 April 2013

Updated Rocker Cover/Engine Cover

Spring finally arrived so I set to work on the rocker cover of my B16A, the paint had started flaking off so I decided to help it along and completely remove it all and leave the bare aluminium exposed. I've seen that look on a few other cars and it works quite well, I'm going to try polish it up a lot more and then scratch in some diagonal lines for added effect and to make it look a little different rather than just the plane solid aluminium finish. I used a fair amount of Nitromors on it applying about 5 or 6 times and leaving for 20 minutes intervals while the paint started to bubble off, it took quite a bit of elbow grease to shift some of the paint, using a paint scraper and a tough wire brush did the trick though.

I will post up the progress on finishing it off very soon, I just need to purchase a Dremel type tool to get in the small gaps and polish up the dull parts of the aluminium.